Skip to content

Visiting Scholars or Professors

Coming to Duquesne University as a Visiting Scholar or Professor

As a scholar or professor working outside the United States, you have the opportunity to connect with faculty members at Duquesne to collaborate on research and obtain temporary positions as a visiting professor at the university. Please read this entire page before making your request.

Log into the DuqGlobal International Student Portal to begin this request.

Securing an Invitation

Your first step is to make initial contact with a faculty member at the university with whom you may already have contact or with someone who is working in your area of interest. Should the faculty member find a compelling reason to invite you to Duquesne as a visiting scholar or professor, the faculty member, along with the Center for Global Engagement, will begin coordinating the upcoming visit.

English Proficiency

Your English language proficiency must be sufficient to successfully participate in the program here at Duquesne University, and you must be able to function on a day-to-day basis in the United States by one of the following means:
  • English language test (e.g., TOEFL or IELTS)
  • Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school
  • Interview conducted in person
  • Interview conducted by video conferencing
  • Interview conducted by telephone

Requesting the Required Immigration Documents

The DS-2019 is the official immigration form needed to obtain the J-1 visa required of Exchange Visitors to the United States. The Center for Global Engagement will issue you the DS-2019 once all of the required documentation and signatures are received from you and the inviting faculty member.  You and your inviting faculty member must complete all of the information in the DS-2019 Request to get the process started. You and the inviting faculty member will decide on a designation in one of the following categories when submitting your request for the DS-2019. 

Professor:  An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting at a post-secondary institution.
Research Scholar: An individual primarily conducting research, observing or consulting with a research project at a research institution.
Specialist: An individual who is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to the United States for observing, consulting, or demonstrating special skills.
Short Term: This category allows individuals to participate in programs of up to 6 months duration in one of our approved categories above.
Please be sure to provide the following information:
  • A financial letter of support from your sponsoring institution, if applicable. 
  • If the department does not plan to cover any of your living expenses, you must submit proof of finances in order to cover the costs of living expenses while at Duquesne. Please request an original and certified/notarized BANK STATEMENT AND FINANCIAL GUARANTEE stating that you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses while in the United States. The amount of sufficient funds should be at least $5000 for one semester or $10,000 for an academic year. 
    • We estimate costs in Pittsburgh could range between $1,500 and $2,000 per month. Of course, these amounts can easily change if you plan to bring other family members with you. 
  • All scholars or professors and their dependents are required to carry HEALTH INSURANCE during their stay at Duquesne. If you will be employed by the university, insurance will be provided as part of your employment. IF you are not employed by the university, the university does offer a policy that meets the government requirements for Exchange Visitors. If you are not employed by the university, you must obtain your own health insurance. 
    There are many insurance plans available. One that many visitors have selected can be found here:
  • If you wish for any of your family members to accompany you, you must provide you with the information included on the DS-2019 Request Form. Scholars must show that you have at least $3000 per dependent in addition to any funds required on the Bank Statement mentioned above. Dependents must also be covered by your health insurance policy.
  • Once approved and all of the information is received, the Center for Global Engagement will issue the DS-2019 and will prepare a Welcome Packet.

• PLEASE NOTE: Scholars or professors who are already in the United States in J-1 status are able to "transfer" their DS-2019 to Duquesne University. Please contact the Center for Global Engagement about how to initiate this process once you have been in contact with a faculty member.

• It is very important to notify the Center for Global Engagement if you have been in the Unites States on a prior visit in J-1 status. There are limitations and "time bars" for scholars who wish to re-enter the US after having participated in an earlier exchange visitor program.

Arriving to Duquesne

  • Once you arrive to campus, you must meet with the staff in the Center for Global Engagement to "check into" the university. You will be "validated" in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) upon arrival. 
  • Exchange visitors are also required to report their date of departure from the United States. At the end of an exchange visitor's program, the State Department gives a 30 day grace period.
Gaining Access to Campus Facilities
  • You will required to complete a Personal Data Sheet provided by the Office of Human Resources that will provide you with a "temporary" social security number for use on campus. 
  • Once the form has been processed by Human Resources, you will be able to receive an ID card, gain access to all buildings, the library, computer labs, and other appropriate facilities.
Obtaining Social Security Numbers
  • Exchange visitors who will be employed and compensated by an academic department on campus will be required to secure an official Social Security Card from the Social Security Administration in downtown Pittsburgh.
Maintaining Contact

It is important that you keep in regular contact with your host faculty member to ensure that their research and obligations are fulfilled according to the agreement.

Moving to Pittsburgh

We have provided additional information for you to consider when planning to move to Pittsburgh as a visiting scholar. Please be sure to consult our website designed for international visitors to understand more about the city and what it has to offer.

Housing in Pittsburgh

Exchange Visitors should begin searching for housing in Pittsburgh before they enter the United States. Please consult the following website for more information and resource about off-campus housing in Pittsburgh:

Local Schools for Children

Exchange visitors who wish to bring their children with them and will need schools can contact the Pittsburgh Public Schools at: for the schools to consider when choosing a particular neighborhood.

Daycare Facilities for Young Children

Exchange visitors who plan to bring younger children with them who are not yet in school need day care should not have any problem finding it around the Pittsburgh area. However, there are two daycare facilities close to Duquesne's campus. We do not endorse these facilities in any way.

UPMC Mercy Child Development (located across from campus)

1401 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Duquesne YMCA Child Development Center

Please feel free to contact the Center for Global Engagement to inquire about more details regarding Visiting Scholars or Professors.